Saturday, March 16, 2013

20 Years of Loud; A Week of Quiet

It's so easy to get used to a routine, isn't it? Even though we say we like some variety in  life, we also love the comfort and security of the familiar. 
 
No surprises or setbacks with the familiar. (Well, usually.)

For 20 years, it was the three of us. For 20 years, peace and quiet was a commodity, and privacy was non-existent.

From day one ~
there was crying and cooing...
laughing and singing...
cartoons blaring and  phones ringing...
family scrambling and sometimes, yelling...
guitars grinding and drums thumping (band practice at our house was a weekly event)...
car engines revving and many, many, many late nights, waiting up... 

...but it's been a week of quiet...well, mostly
My son moved out last Saturday (a four hour drive away). 
On Thursday he came back to town to pick up a friend and stopped in to pick up a few more things he forgot to take with him when he moved out. Of course, he stopped in at midnight (he's definitely on a different schedule, now)...yes, he called earlier to let us know he was coming. 

20 years may seem like a long time for some people, but for me, it went by in a flash! At one time I longed for the day I wouldn't ever have to worry (well, that won't ever happen.) and when my hubby and I would be able to enjoy an evening of peace and quiet.

Now that that day is here, the quietness can sometimes be so lonely! We actually talk about how we miss the familiar sounds and activity. We aren't bored or without things to do, but we got used to having that third person around...
to say to us, "I love you, mom." or "See ya tomorrow, dad."

When I go to the garage to get in my car to go to town, I walk by the stairs that go up to his room. I would always yell up, "I'm leaving Tyler. Bye. Love ya."  This week, I wanted to yell up the stairs still, but there wasn't anyone there to say goodbye to.

It's the familiar things that are hard to let go of. 

Yes, we have more privacy. I can go to the bathroom without closing the door, if I want. :) We can go somewhere for dinner, without wandering if Tyler would want to go or if he's planning on staying in for the evening.
 
 It's a whole different way of thinking for us. 

It's quieter....definitely quieter!

It's change. And we humans thrive more on familiar. So, it's an adjustment. It's the beginning of a different way of life. It's sad... yet happy, too. 
 
May you also have a quiet and enjoyable weekend!
"Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." 


Heart Reflected



 


4 comments:

  1. Make my ambition to lead a quiet life... wow! I needed that today. Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this encouraged you. May you find peace and quiet in Christ! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Praying for you, Ann, in these changes and adjustments. He'll always be your little boy. :)

    My children live out of the house now, but they are nearby, and I always wonder what they are doing still, if they're okay, if they're sad...

    But I don't know the empty nest. My oldest grandgirl is here--a lot. :)

    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. Yeah, the hard part for me is that I can't stop in and check on him. He's too far away. Guess prayer and hope are my only choices.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.