Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year, A New Word


Well, here it is....my word for 2013! It was pretty easy for me to find a word this year. Maybe because last year, I found myself dealing with a lot of challenges that tested my steadfastness. Sometimes, I didn't do too well in being steadfast. As a new year begins, and the clock winds closer to Christ's return, I know I will be required, more than ever, to be steadfast in my faith walk.

The word steadfast traces back to the Old English word stedefæst, a combination of stede, meaning "place," and fæst, meaning "firmly fixed." Picture a steadfast person standing firmly in place, not wavering or budging an inch, and you’ll have a good sense of what this word means. Someone can be steadfast in a belief, an effort, a plan, or even a refusal. Whatever it is, it means that the person will calmly hold firm to the chosen position and follow through with determination.

A word meaning to endure patiently. A steadfast person is one who is reliable, faithful, and true to the end. Paul said Jesus was a person of steadfastness (Romans 15:3-4). The NAS translates steadfastness with “perseverance” (2 Thessalonians 1:4). James said that trials that test our faith produce steadfastness (2 Thessalonians 1:3 KJV “patience”; NAS “endurance”; NIV “perseverance”).

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.  (Isaiah 26:3)

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.           (1 Corinthians 15:58)

For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ. (Colossians 2:5—NKJV)

 Here is an example of Christ's steadfast love:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
          they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
           (Lamentations 3:22–23)


The translators of the Greek word means “firm, solid expanse, solid, stiff, and standing firmly” chose the English word “steadfast” to best communicate the idea. Steadfast is of Anglo-Saxon derivation and is incorporated into several words and phrases. “Stead” means a firm place (like a town), or the position of a thing filled by a replacement, a successor which may substitute in the place of another (our phrase “stand in good stead” means to give good advantage and serve well in the place of something). These definitions enhance the meaning of “instead.” They communicate the foundational thought behind the words “homestead” (house, outbuildings and farmland as settled property), bedstead, and “steadfast” (firm, fixed, settled, established, and constant as opposed to fickle). 

The same Greek word is found in other places in the Bible. 2 Timothy 2:19 says, “Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands having this seal: ‘The Lord knows those who are His,’ and ‘Let everyone who names the Name of Christ depart from iniquity.’”

In 1 Peter 5:8–9, Peter says, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.”

Source: google.com via Ann on Pinterest

One who is steadfast is a person who stands unagitated and immovable in spite of the fierce pressures coming against him. The Bible calls this quality ‘steadfastness’.


The Lord wants us to be people of steadfastness. He does not want us to sway and slip with every passing torrent. Steadfastness is built up in us as we go through various trials. That’s why the Lord exhorts us to be joyful in trials because every trial is an opportunity for building up our spiritual and emotional ‘muscles’.


Think about a body builder. Before he begins his body building program, his muscles would probably be loose and not so strong; but as he daily does this program, eventually his muscles become strong and powerful. This happens because his muscles have developed the quality of steadfastness as a result of withstanding pressures.

Similarly, the Lord wants you to develop steadfastness in your life through the pressures and trials that come against you. Consider every trial that you face today as an opportunity to become more strong and unflinching. And as you tackle your daily pressures with this mindset, you grow in endurance, boldness, vitality, and confidence in God. What the devil planned for evil will become a channel for success in your life.
- – - written by Joe Abraham (from www.gloriousliving.net)
Source: google.com via Ann on Pinterest
...
 A quick word about the word I had for 2012:"Transformed"
 My desires for 2012 were:
  • To live a healthy lifestyle:  physically, in my relationships, and in my walk with God every day.
  •  To realize my gifts and use them to God’s glory alone.
  • To know my limitations and learn when God is leading and when He’s not, and take action accordingly.
  • To make a difference in the lives of others by sharing my life experiences and words of encouragement.(specifically through my blog)
  • To be a true disciple of Jesus Christ, walking the hard road and taking up my cross daily to do so.
 God has been good, even in the midst of many challenges! I feel like He helped me grow in fulfilling my desires and He continues to work in me.  

As far as being steadfast for 2013... My desires are similar, but in a more determined way. I have learned much about being transformed.....now I need to stay strong in the transformation that has taken place.

“A Prayer For Steadfastness”

 Jesus, we proclaim You to be the King of Kings and Lord of lords.  Help us to boldly declare this glorious message, not only in a setting where we find receptive listeners, but also to a hostile world that is building its perishable kingdom here on earth. May we be full of conviction and infused with Your power as we courageously tell others “There is another King, one called Jesus.”  You’ve called us to be light in a world full of darkness. You’ve also enjoined us to be peacemakers. Sometimes when we take a stand for righteousness it does not bring peaceful resolution, but instead further conflict arises. Then we go through a surge of emotions and doubts begin to arise regarding our stand.  Would You help us to be diligent in our study, prayerful about our stand, and immersed in Your Holy Word.  May we not stand in our own strength or be led by aimless ambition. Lord, as we take a position against the evil tide of our land help us to be unapologetic in our stand, consistent in our Christian walk, and loving in our approach. May we, by example and word, say to the fallen world that we serve not the god of this age, but we serve a King who is ageless and eternal. In Your strength alone we stand. Amen.




7 comments:

  1. I love your One Word choice! I was going to begin a Bible study on the all of the scriptures that talk about Steadfast last year. Perhaps this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I so enjoyed your post. STEADFAST is a great word. And I just love how you explained it, and expanded on it. I really like how you said that steadfast means unagitated - wow, that would be a goal for me for sure!

    I also desire to be steadfast as I seek God's DIRECTION in my life.

    So glad you stopped by the other day. And it has been my pleasure to visit you today!

    In His strength alone we stand. (Love that!)

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great word! Looking forward to following your blog this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I came here from Sharon's Blog. I love your word and I too need very much to be steadfast, I like your prayer.

    I am going to the bottom of page now to try to follow you

    God Bless - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came from Bonnie's Faith Jam, I do like what you wrote about being Steadfast. Do you know George Herbert's poem, The Holdfast? I just thought you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann! Thanks for sharing your first step into the new year together in the Faith Jam! :) I love your heart and hearing how "steadfast" is being planted on your faith journey. May your words continue to flow!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.