Sunday, January 20, 2013

Story of Joseph - A Story About God's Promises


I've been attending a Bible study at my church for several weeks. We have been studying the basics of the Old Testament ~ many stories of people of that time that have revealed how God has worked in their lives, and how He still works today.

Most recently, we have been studying the life of Joseph. Several statements in our study guide reminds me just how much God works in and through our lives each day. This story also brings up the fact once again that how we look at our circumstances in life affects everything else.
 The story of Joseph:
Joseph's faith in God and what He communicated allowed him to see beyond his circumstances and serve the Lord.

  • God is the Promise-Giver and Promise-Keeper. Joseph trusted that God was still with him, despite the apparent hopelessness of his situation.                  
  1.  Sold into slavery by his own brothers. 
  2. Falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit and imprisoned. 
  3. Forgotten by those he helped, while in prison.
  • God spoke through dreams to Joseph and the Egyptians    
  1.   His dream as a shepherd boy 
  2. The wine-taster's dream 
  3. The king's dream
  • God speaks to us in different ways today.
  1. Through His Word. 
  2. Confirmation through other believers 
  3. Answered prayer, even if it's not what we pray for.
  •  The Joseph story tells us that God was with Joseph and showed His faithfulness to him in the very worst of his circumstances.
             "The LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden." (Gen. 39:21)

  • God is present. He is with us always.
  1. The Bible tells us this truth: "For he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake    you.”(Hebrews 13:5) 
  2. We are aware through our experiences and when we have peace that only He can provide in our lives. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you" (John 14:27)
  • When Joseph reveals himself to his brothers, he is able to forgive them and tells them that “It was God who sent me here—not you.”

  •  God is sovereign.
  1.  As children of God, we are able to see His sovereign plan, in spite of the   circumstances that led us down the road we take in life.
(source)


This story is a great reminder of who God is and how He works in our lives, each and every day.


Joy is a function of gratitude — and gratitude is a function of perspective.

(Ann Voskamp)


Sharing the many gifts God has graced upon me: Joy Dare

3 witnessed blessings:
1,198 - Getting to see my brother eat solid food again! Continued healing, as he is finally gaining, not losing weight, since his 4 month illness began.
1,199 - Quick healing of my knee, after surgery.
1,200 -  A friend who needed encouragement, finding the goodness of a stranger, just at the right time.

3 gifts from God's word: His promises
1,201 - Psalm 145:13-14
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
1,202 Psalm 91:1-2  
 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of Yahweh, “He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.” 
1,203 - Malachi 3:6
"I the LORD do not change."

3 gifts only seen close-up:
1,204 - Through study of His Word, I can see many of His promises.
1,205 - A wedding invitation received in the mail.
1,206 - Pictures of my hubby when he was young, found in the corner of a dresser drawer.

3 graces from people you love:
1,207 -  Friends, who call and text me, saying they are praying.
1,208My hubby, working hard to finish our latest major home renovation project.
1,209 - My hubby and son, doing dishes and laundry, to help around the house, while I recover.

Linking over at these blog parties:

3 comments:

  1. Hi ANn! WOw, 1209 gifts and counting- sweet! I like the way you have broken down Joseph's lessons from God's word. You seem to be an organized thinker!

    I have been having a hard time keeping up with all of the blogs I so enjoy. Life happens and therein lies the challenge. So glad for your visit and good to visit here today as well.

    In His Grace, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann
    Nice to meet you at Winsome Wednesdays. Yes, dear one, He is with us always, especially when we are suffering and unaware of His presence!
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to meet another Joy Dare discoverer. I loved reading through your gifts. And I also love the quotes from Ann's book. I read her book 4 times and taught it to 2 groups.
    Wonderful to meet you.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.