Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Praying for Christmas Miracles

Just when you think you have the holidays all planned out...
when you anticipate time at home, with family, doing all the traditional things you do each year....
Just when Christmas surprises and exciting events are finally in place...

Everything changes....plans, hopes, anticipations, excitement, and joy...
They turn, 
turn into crushed dreams,  dread, confusion, and sadness.
This past weekend was, to say the least, a difficult one for the victims, families, and residents of Newtown, Connecticut. I actually can imagine the heartache they are feeling and will experience at Christmas, since 16 years ago on Dec. 26, my stepson was tragically killed in a car accident. Christmas should be a time of joy and family time, but that year it was full of sadness and loss. The death of a child is horrific, no matter how it happens. 

There have been so many prayers that have gone up for these families and we continue to lift them up.

-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=--==-=

This Christmas is going to be unique and difficult for my family, again. My brother, who was just transported from our small Indiana town to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota today, will be undergoing surgery, his 4th surgery in 2 months.  He has been hospitalized with intestinal blocks and bacterial infections for almost 3 months. In his weak physical state, he may not pull through. The doctors have admitted that they can't do much more and even if the surgery is successful,  his body may not be able to fight off the infection.

I know God is a God of miracles! He is in control and knows all that we need and desire. When we come to Him with humble and contrite hearts, He hears us.
... I have heard your prayer; I have seen your tears. Behold, I will heal you.
2 Kings 20:5 (ESV)

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 
2 Chronicles 7:14-15

But, I also know that not always does He choose to give us what we ask for. Our ways are not always His ways.
I try not to think about the 'what ifs' of life, good or bad. Not only is that not good for the soul, but it leaves no room for the Lord to do miracles in my life. The negative 'what ifs' about my brother are difficult enough to shut out of my mind, but even more difficult are the 'what ifs' if he would not have gotten sick.(Resentment) You see, there is more to my Christmas story.

For nearly 3 years my hubby and I had been planning a special 25th wedding anniversary trip. Last year was officially our 25th, but because of finances and our house being on the market, we decided to wait till another time. I actually had come to terms that it would not happen, since what I had truly wanted was to renew our vows in my favorite place, Charleston, South Carolina on the beach. (I am a big time dreamer!) We had talked about other options, like going to Lake Michigan (much closer) to renew our vows, but it just wouldn't quite be the same. 

Well, to make a long story short, my hubby had actually been planning this coming weekend on surprising me and taking me down to S.C., with our son in tow to stand up with us, and renew our vows on the beach! My ultimate dream! But, that dream was crushed. Instead we will be spending Christmas in cold, snowy Minnesota, where the clinic is located! We may do it another time, but my son plans on moving out this spring, both he and my hubby work and don't have vacation time off other than Christmas, so it is going to take a real miracle for this dream to take place. You could say, I'm praying for two miracles this year.

Sharing the gifts He has bestowed upon me every new day through the Joy Dare.
3 gifts of  difficult choices.
1,170 - Sacrificing my dream, so that I can be with my brother and his family.
1,171 - To concentrate on God's love and blessings, rather than resentment and 'what ifs'.
1,172 - To trust God's plans for our lives, whatever the outcome is.

3 gifts ice cold
1,173 -  Taking the lives of children is so prevalent anymore, our nation is turning ice cold (and less lukewarm) - Rev. 3:15
1,174 - The ice cold reality that God doesn't always answer our prayers in exactly the way we would like Him to.
1,175 - The weather in Minnesota, where we will most likely be staying over Christmas.


3 gifts that are beacons of hope
1,176 - The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
1,177 - Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.  Isaiah 60:1
1,178 - I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. Isaiah 42:16
 (other verses on God's light)

3 gifts family
1,179 - Past memories of Christmas' together.
1,180 - The support and love of my family, as we gather around my brother and his family in his illness.
1,181 - My sister-in-law, who is truly an angel in disguise. She has continually been at my brother's side. (As well as my mom.)
A photo from Christmas, 2011. My sister-in-law and brother, who is at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

3 gifts Bethlehem-unlikely
1,182 - Miraculous healing of my brother's body.
1,183 - Getting to go to S.C. to renew our vow on the beach.
1,184 - This Christmas being a time of love, joyfulness, and peace.

Christmas 2011. My nephew,  niece (and her hubby), who are expecting in May.
3 gifts miraculous
1,185
1,186
1,187
Oh, I choose to wait to share these three gifts miraculous for my next post, for...
 "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Our family needs a Christmas miracle this year and I'm praying He provides these glorious gifts.....healing for my brother and a special anniversary trip to renew our vows on the beach.
 
 Family, January, 2012

My heart aches for those families in Connecticut, who don't find anything miraculous this Christmas! I also pray that somehow, God gives them a Christmas miracle, too.


4 comments:

  1. There is so much wise perspective in this post. I want to pray with you for miracles. Maybe unexpected ones you haven't even thought of. Even in all these areas. Bookmarking this post in my Bookmarks bar so I don't forget anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sylvia! Your prayers are coveted and I agree that God can work miracles, even unexpected ones!! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Praying God's comfort and hope fill your hearts this Christmas season! Thanks so much for linking this post up with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I wish you all the love and joy this Christmas, as well!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.