Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Mother's Gift (Where I got my Love of Tea)


Mother's Day is Sunday, May 13. I was recently reminiscing about memories of my mother during my youth. One memory I vividly remember is waking up early to find my mother reading the Bible or praying. Then she would always, without fail, make a cup of tea and toast for breakfast. When I think about it, my mom was the only one in our family that drank tea, at least until I got older and joined her. My dad was a coffee lover and all my siblings followed his love for coffee. But not me and mom. Neither of us like coffee. I guess you could say I got my love of tea from my mother.
My sister, my mom, and me at our church's ladies tea.

In celebration of Mother's Day and remembering my mom's legacy of taking morning tea, I am having tea and toast. (With peanut butter, which has always been a favorite of every member of our family)

The sweetest sounds to mortals given are heard in Mother, home, and heaven. (William Goldsmith Brown)
God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers. (Jewish Proverb)
No man is poor who had a godly mother.   Abraham Lincoln
We find delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and sweet sleep blesses the child who lies therin.  (Victor Hugo)
 
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her
Proverbs 31:25-28
 
  I picked weeds; 
you saw flowers and put them in a vase for all to see.    
I gave you rocks; 
 
   you polished them and proudly wore them like diamonds.
                                        I showered you with frustration; 
                         you covered me with love.  

I took;  you gave.    

 I was a stinker; 
   you are a rose.

Quotes and verses come from the gift book "A Mother's Gift", the last of a series of books I purchased several weeks ago.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Ann, your Mother's day post is so lovely! I can hear that you love your mother very much.
    Your breakfast looks delicious, I would love to eat that too!
    Your mother and sister and you all look wonderful together.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I do love my mom very much. We've always been a lot alike, and for many years were best friends! My dad passed away in 2004 and she remarried a few years later. With her new husband, her life has changed a lot, but we always can count on getting together each year for our church's ladies tea.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Micupoftea. Wishing you the same!!

      Delete
  3. I really love your Mother's Day post honoring your Mother and the love you share is evident in your words. The story of how you got your love of tea is wonderful! Have a lovely Mother's Day! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Pam, way over there on the opposite side of the country, in Texas!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Dearest Ann,

    Your mom and the legacy she gave you and your family are most precious.., I am reading your every word and sitting here with 'moist eyes'; I can see and hear that you loved your dear, tea loving momma very much. What a precious legacy of a praying mom, who loved the Lord.

    I rejoice along with you in the fond memories that the two of you sisters have tucked away safely in your hearts, until one glorious day by the grace of God, you and your loved ones are safely reunited once again with The Lord and also with her in heaven.

    What a truly beautiful legacy of tea times shared together with peanut buttered toast and tea,and most of all a praying mom. How sweet; such a warm and loving tribute.

    Thanks so much for sharing this legacy from your heart to ours Ann.

    May God richly bless and comfort you during this coming mothers day weekend.


    Big hugs, Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an encouraging and lovely comment you have left me, Wanda Lee!! Thank you for stopping by and sharing! God is so good!!! Praying you also may enjoy the coming holiday dedicated to all mothers!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Ann,
    Your mother sounds like a godly mother and you are blessed to have her in your life! I never liked tea because my mother made terrible tea. LOL. I was a coffee drinker until the last number of years and now I prefer tea although I still like my coffee in the morning. A very enjoyable post and a lovely tribute to mothers everywhere! Thank you for sharing and joining me for tea.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your blog post, as well, Sandi!! Again, congratulations on 40 years of marriage and raising 3 strong, healthy, and godly young men!! Motherhood is a blessing, indeed!

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this - faith knowing and trusting God's promises makes us smile when we remember our mothers. What true gifts they were to us! Thank you for sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.