Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Courage to Overcome Fear

 
My first memory of being full of fear was when I was in kindergarten. Our house was a few blocks from my school, and living in a fairly safe neighborhood, my parents let me walk to and from school each day. This was what all the kids did in my neighborhood, back in the day, so no one ever felt afraid. Then, one afternoon, when I was about halfway home from school, I heard growling and barking from behind me. I turned around to see a large dog running towards me at full speed! I screamed, turned around, and ran as fast as I could all the way home, the dog chasing me all the way. The animal didn't hurt me physically, but emotionally I was scarred for years, petrified of all large dogs. I eventually overcame the fear, but I'll never forget that horrifying experience.

Negative experiences can often cause us to fear things, people, places, or repeating the experience, itself.  Some fears can cause us to run away, hide in our own personal shells, avoid situations, or even have debilitating physical reactions. 

Some fear is good...God even says in Proverbs 9:10, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. But fearfulness that leaves us unable to function or live daily for God, isn't what God desires for our lives.

Fear also protects us in times of danger and helps us to live productive lives. The fear of being burned, when there is a fire prompts you to use the emergency exit. Fear of falling warns you to not step out of the window of a ten-story building. Fear of disease will encourage you to live a healthier lifestyle, maybe quit smoking or begin exercising. Fear of losing those you love may remind you to be more attentive and spend more quality time together. Fear of not being able to pay your bills definitely motivates you to show up to your job every day.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
The Bible offers powerful alternatives to different kinds of fear:

Fear of Evil - "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4)

Fear of Others - The LORD is my light and my salvation ; Whom shall I fear ? The LORD is the defense of my life ; Whom shall I dread ?(Psalm 27:1)

Fear of being alone -  'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'(Isaiah 41:10)

Fear of Humiliation - "Fear not, for you will not be put to shame ; And do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced ; But you will forget the shame of your youth, And the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.(Isaiah 54:4)

Fear of Dying - "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul ; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)

Fear of being deserted - "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"  so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME ?"(Hebrews 13:5-6)

Fear of being harmed - Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good?  But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED."(1 Peter 3:13-14)

 

What then is courage? "Courage doesn't mean you don't get afraid. Courage means you don't let fear stop you." To overcome your fears, take strength from these fear-busting Bible verses about courage.

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.(Deuteronomy 31:6)

 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."(Joshua 1:9)

 

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.(Psalm 27:14)

 

But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost;(Acts 27:22 - the story of Jesus calming the storm)

I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.(Philippians 1:20)

 

In all honesty, with God's help, we are called to be a fearless people! Remember He is all powerful, all knowing, and all present. Can anyone triumph over Him? "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:37

 

These are just a few verses about fear and courage...there are many more the Bible talks about. To read more Bible verses on fear, check out the link  here

Read mo re: http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2008/09/How-to-Face-Fear-10-Bible-Verses-To-Inspire-Courage.aspx?p=2#ixzz1p9ZKwRRL

The picture above was from a story in Australia of a little girl named Sophia. Watch the video HERE  Do you think this was her first lion encounter? 

Personally, I jumped and shuddered, as I watched this. That lion looked hungry and mad!!! Maybe it just brings back too many memories from my youth!!

Linking over at these great blog-hops:

8 comments:

  1. Ann, I enjoyed this blog. I too was afraid of dogs when I was a young child and your blog brought back those vivid memories. I also outgrew my fear of dogs (maybe)...and now just like you, I stay focused on God's Word during my fearful times. Thanks for listing these scriptures, I am always looking for them to give to others. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you find courage and strength with God's help, Maribeth! Scripture has gotten me through some pretty tough times in my own life!! Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about courage not meaning fear, but not letting fear stop us.

    For years, I have feared spiders...big ones, small ones, poisionous ones, and non poisonous ones. If I allow it, the fear can consume me. Spiders are a little thing, but fear can stop us "dead in our tracks" so to speak. And the enemy would like nothing better that to keep us afraid so that we won't be about God's work.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean about spiders, Joan. The thing is, I love gardening and to have a garden, one must endure spiders, so I've learned to get along with them....from a distance, when possible. Some spiders can make a nasty bite, poisonous or not, so a little fear is understandable. Thanks for stopping by, friend!

      Delete
    2. Ann this was a great story that painted a vivid picture of your experience. Thank you for sharing all those scriptures. @Maribeth I also tried to comment on 1 of your posts but I couldn't get it to post..

      Delete
  4. This is a thorough look at fear, Ann. I never thought of the many ways we exhibit fear. Fear really leaves memories, doesn't it?
    Thanks for sharing this on Bless and Be Blessed blog hop. I'm praying that God will give you a wonderful week, full of godly fear for Him and no other fear! Gail

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.