Monday, February 6, 2012

Ruth - A Woman of Virtue

source: https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN3jUs7rwS_GbICBj8rSZKJ2OHaYHqWt52TTjiK-BLPRScyTdiww
I love reading and hearing about the story of Ruth in the Bible. (The book comes after the book of Judges and before 1 Samuel in the Old Testament) Ruth is an interesting character for so many reasons. I think I am drawn to her for her wonderful faith, character, and determination. These things I know about Ruth:
  •   Faithful: Ruth was not, by bloodline, a Jew.  However, she was the wife of a Jew (Ruth 1:1-5). Yet, in faith she became a believer of God, instead of the god’s the Moabites had. As her mother-in-law quickly pointed out, she had many reasons and opportunities to leave and go back to her people and their gods.(Ruth 1:11-15)
  •  Loyal: There are several times in this story where we see the loyalty of Ruth shine through. Ruth clung to Naomi, here mother-in-law. 
  • Hard Worker: Ruth gleaned in the fields all day,(2:1-7; 2:14-15; 2:17,23) so that Naomi and she would have something to eat. Solomon writes, "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might." (Eccl 9:10, KJV)
  • Had a Good Reputation:  (Seen in 2:11,  3:11, and then in 4:11-12.)   This she earned by her decent and caring lifestyle and decisions. She was humble and called herself a servant to others (2:10,11,13; 3:9)
The story of Ruth and Boaz is also a "romance of redemption" of sorts (and since I am a romantic at heart, her love-life grabs my attention, as well.)
source: http://www.bibleprophecyupdate.com/http:/www.bibleprophecyupdate.com/controversial_subjects/is_the_bible_the_word_of_god/ruth-a-prophetic-romance-of-redemption/
Upon returning to Bethlehem, Ruth encounters the hero of this tale, the handsome landowner, Boaz. He save the day by becoming a "Kinsman-Redeemer" to both Ruth and Naomi, by purchasing the land owned by their husbands and marrying Ruth. This love story is a beautiful depiction of how Jesus loves us, and how much God wants to bless us. Ruth's persistence and obedience to Naomi's instructions also became a prophetic story that lead to the bloodline of the Messiah.


Let us all strive to be like Ruth and declare ourselves of virtue by following in the
same qualities as Ruth.

Sharing the many graces God has shown me as I continue to take part in the Joy Dare.


A gift found on a paper, in a person, in a picture. 
    429. A homemade thank you card from a new friend
    430. That friend, being my son's girlfriend.
    431. The two playing/singing together at the local coffee house.
 

    A gift at 11:30, 2:30, and 6:30
    432. Some quiet time in Bible study
    433. Meeting up with my hubby when he gets off work.
    434. A wonderful healthy light dinner - clam chowder and salad.
    Three things overheard today, all gifts.
    435. Someone speaking kindly about another church member and sister in Christ.
    436. A mother talking to her infant and the baby babbling back.
    437. Small talk in the coffee house - people caring about other people.
    3 gifts found in writing
    438. Reading about the story of Ruth
439. Words of encouragement from other bloggers on the internet. 
440. A text message from my friend I miss, who is on vacation.
    3 gifts found when bent down
    441. Closeness to God (on my knees in prayer)

    442. Reflections in a puddle of water
           
    443. A cracked paved road(reminds me of my 'cracked' life before I knew Jesus)
      
    One gift stitched, hammered, woven
    444. An antique family quilt
    445. A bridge for my garden (my husband and son built)
    446. Psalm 139:15 "My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth."

                     linking over at these blogs:






Beauty in His Grip Button

















2 comments:

  1. I also love the story of Ruth! I love the faithfulness shown...the love shown...and of course the hero saving the day! But, the overwhelming message for me is how God loves us and redeems us. We just need to trust in Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so true Joan! What would we do without the saving Grace of our "Kinsman Redeemer"!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.