"The peace of nature and of the innocent creatures of God seems to be secure and deep,
only so long as the presence of man and his restless and unquiet spirit are not there to trouble its sanctity"
Tomas De Quincey, "Preliminary Confessions" (1821- 56)
My niece saw them first, in the thicket of trees past the yard.
“Can I go pet them?” she asked.
“No, they would run away, hon.”was the reply.
She was so hopeful. She goes outside and waits in the yard. They see her and hide deeper in the trees. She stomps, disappointed. Even though she would not harm them, they are wild, wary, and don’t realize this fact. She has a piece of bread she leaves in the yard and slowly walks back into the house. We wait and watch. Intermittently, they take slow steps out of the camouflaged barrier, into the yard.
“Look!” someone exclaims. “They’ve come closer!”
They seem uneasy at first, but the draw of food over-rides their instincts to run. They look around, cautiously. Then they relax a little and start to eat. When the bread is gone, they nibble on the patchy areas of long grass, cautiously, step by step, creeping closer to us.
They are so graceful looking, so sweet and peaceful. We stand and watch, behind the glass divider, in wonder and awe. It’s almost as if they know they are being watched, but they are safe. We see how nature breathes life, and grace, and pure joy of His creation…..all seen only when man does not intervene, does not poison this beauty with his presence. Nature swims in pure life and joy! We are thankful for this moment, short but sweet, full of gratitude.
God shows us, just at the right time, beauty and how people who live miles away from each other, coming together for a table full of thanksgiving, can find something we all know and believe in......Your creation…..that breathes His Holy name!
Linking up at
317. Amazing Thanksgiving Day with my husband and son!!
318. Exciting and fun life experiences.
319. Vacation time at home with family
320. Sleeping in
321. Getting Christmas decorations out
322. Nice weather to put outside Christmas lights up.
323. God’s leading of my son to make good choices when it comes to dating and relationships.
324. Family gatherings
325. Being able to have a good attitude about getting together with some family members
326. Family time going well.
327. That my son got off work early and could come to be with extended family for Thanksgiving.
328. All nature breathes life!
In His Love,