Wednesday, June 25, 2014

God and Light

Welcome back to my blog! I'm so glad you came to read my post today...

Once again, I find that if I ask God to open my heart to a certain verse or theme to post about, He provides. Last week, I found myself sharing on rain and water...
This week, it seems like all I've read and listened to were about   light and shining God's love to the world. Several verses are described in the Bible with the word "light" in relation to who God is and who we, as His followers, are.
  • God created light 
"And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light." (Gen.1:3)
  • God is Light.
"the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)
  • Jesus is the Light of the world.
"Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

  • We can walk in the Light and in fellowship with Him and with one another.

"But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:7)
  • We are the light of the world, as well.
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.(Matt. 5:14-16)
I especially am reminded how we are a light in a dark and dreary world in a song by Kari Jobe.

  • His Light guides us.
"Your word is a lamp to my feet
    and a light to my path." (Psalm 119:105)


These, and many more verses in the Bible, describe just how God shines His light (which cannot be put out) in our lives.

"For with you is the fountain of life;
    in your light do we see light." (Psalm 36:9)

 

This past weekend I had a wonderful opportunity to meet up with some friends that I hadn't seen in a very long time, which was AMAZING! But that wasn't the least of it! Their daughter, who is a beautiful singer, is in a band and played live at a music festival...and we got to see her, as well! One of her songs was (of course) about light and how we, as Christ-followers, must "GLOW' for Jesus!! 



May the love of Christ "GLOW" for the world to see in each of our lives!!

Once again, I'm sharing for "Multitudes on Mondays", as I  Dare to Share some of the gifts that God has been so gracious to put into my life. 


1,707 - Great Christian music!
1,708 - Getting to see old friends.
1,709 - Finding someone, last minute, to watch our dogs, while we were away for the weekend!
1,710 - Safe travels and the Lord's guidance, when we got lost in the night fog on the way back from the music festival.
1,711 - Great weather during our time in Ohio.
1,712 - The presence of God in a lit-up sky, full of bright fireworks.



1,713 - As always, Chris Tomlin's music!!


7 comments:

  1. "Light" is a fascinating theme to follow through the scripture. Thank you, friend. Truly inspires me.

    Glad to have you with us at Unforced Rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Kelli. I found this theme to en"light"ening also! :) Hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  2. We spent a lot of time talking about light when we studied John. Such good scripture and I am thankful you shared it with us at SDG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! John had much to say about light, didn't he, Jen? Since we can't live without the light of the sun, the descriptions and definitions of light that comes from God are great way to help us understand Him better, Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. To enjoy the music festival and also the daughter of a friend who participated made a delightful get away. I enjoyed your scriptures about light and am reminded that Jesus said we shall have the LIGHT of LIFE. That is deep. Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hazel! God's light is pretty amazing (and deep), yet simple enough for even a child to know how to ask Jesus into his heart. I love how Scripture speaks to all of us!! Thanks for coming over and leaving a comment for me.

      Delete
  4. I am learning what this looks like practically in my life right now as a raise my girls. I've always thought about "lost" people as being "out there" but here I have these little creatures who don't know Jesus...yet :) These songs, these verses, keep this at the front of my mind as I remember I need to do this not only for those people I connect with outside my home, but those who are right here with me watching everything I do.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a comment.